Sunday, January 18, 2009

How To Make a Card Sketch Using MS Word

I was asked to do a tutorial (by Kath) of how I make my sketches for cards (like THIS one) without Photoshop or any Photo software. I use Microsoft Word and it's easy as pie and takes just a few minutes.

I hope this helps someone else out there to make sketches.

First you need to open a blank Word document.

Next you will need to insert a shape to use.
You can do this by using the “Drawing” toolbar.
To add this toolbar to your toolbars, right-click in the toolbar area and choose “Drawing” this will add it to the toolbar area (PIC. 1).
It always adds mine to the bottom…I don’t know why. I don’t know if yours will be at the bottom or top…

Now go to the toolbar and choose a shape for the bottom layer of your sketch. You choose a shape by clicking on it in your Drawing toolbar.
I normally choose a rectangle which you can make into a square or long rectangle by changing its size vertically and horizontally (PIC. 2).

It will say “Create Drawing Here” on your screen in the Word Document (PIC. 3).


Click in that screen and it will put your shape there, now you can drag it to the size you want it to be (PIC. 4).

Then to differentiate each layer you can change the color of that layer by “right-clicking” on it and choosing “Format Autoshape” then select from the drop-down arrow a “Fill Color” to use, then click “ok”. This should change your shape to the color you chose. (PIC. 5)
Repeat the steps above to continue selecting shapes and layering them one on the other until you have a sketch you like. (PIC. 6)
You can move the layers onto each other but clicking on one that is towards the bottom will move it to the top so beware of that when clicking around. I like to just start at the bottom and work my way up only moving top layers to where I need them before.


A Few Helpful Tips:
- To make little spots for brads, eyelets, spot for a sentiment, etc., I use the “Stars and Banners” choice on the shape menu.
- “More Autoshapes” will take you to your Clipart library and all the shapes available there. There is most likely a Christmas tree, music note, shapes you can use for flowers, half-circles and more.

I hope you like my 1st ever (probably last, lol) tutorial and that its helpful to you!

See you tomorrow with more of my VSN creations to share!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! I have always struggled with creating sketches and your tutorial makes it so freaking easy!!! You totally rock, girlie! I really appreciate the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a super great job explaining!! Great job on your 1st (and probably last ;)) tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you, Jimmi. I would have been one of those who drew it out with pencil and then took a photo - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW thanks so much! I have been wondering how to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this!
    SCS embellished

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jimmi
    What a great tutorial, thank you so much for adding this. I've just made up 2 sketches and it was nice and simple to do using this. I'm addicted now.... lol.
    Thanks again.

    Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jimmi~

    This is great! Thanks for sharing! I have been assigned a sketch challenge for my DT's challenge blog and I wanted to make my own instead of copying someone else. I do not have any fancy programs so I was happy to see that I could use Word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jimmi! This was SO very helpful. I hadn't thought of using Word, but had tried creating one in PhotoShop. This was SO easy. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this tutorial, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is cool... just googled how to make a sketch and found you... how do you save it so it's a picture? thanks!
    Pam Going Postal

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome. I'm definately going to have to start doing this!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE IT WHEN YOU TALK TO ME!
Have a fabulous day!